Welcome to this series of articles where we are going to learn Kotlin, a new JVM language, while developing an Android App. I hope it will help you to learn this incredible language in the context of Android. This stories will be separated in different Parts. In the Content section you will have the different Parts and the main topics that are going to be discussing there, each Part will include different Kotlin features.
My intention is not to create the best App in the world (I can’t do that hahah) but I’ll try to explain Kotlin and it’s main features while developing this app.
Libraries that we are going to use:
- Retrofit 2.0: To consume public Reddit API.
- RxJava: We will use Observables to decouple the UI thread with our background tasks. In this case to call the API and return this values to the UI.
- Picasso: Load images from Reddit.
- RecyclerView: We will use the RecyclerView to present the information and also to provide the infinite scroll behaviour.
- Kotlin Android Extensions: to bind the UI (Views) with code.
- Dagger 2: Dependency Injection